Yummy! The combination of flavors here is so simple, but so delicious. The sweet corn and the basil add freshness to the dish. While the "fried" fritter satisfies the craving for something more, well, fried. Haha. I love cooking with zucchini since it lends its self so well to such a variety of dishes. And it’s a good thing this one was a success too, since our grilled steak entree met its charred demise. You see, our hunting dog (who we don't hunt with) had to satisfy his animalistic nature by breaking free to chase the friendly neighborhood ducks. And since the steaks were already on the grill, they perished as we desperately tried to lure the ducks (to bait the dog) back to shore and out of the water moccasin infested pond to the side of our yard. In the end my poor husband had to dive in and grab the dog. And in the end my poor steak was a far cry from the blue rare that I always request. But it was nothing that a hot shower, a bottle of wine and some scrumptious zucchini corn fritters couldn’t cure. :)
For the Fritter:
3 cups of shredded zucchini (3 medium zucchinis)
1 11 oz can of sweet corn (or frozen, or grilled)
1 ½ cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
½ cup minced basil
1 cup white flour
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2-3 tbsp olive oil for "frying"
For the Cheddar Chipotle Sour Cream:
1 ½ cups sour cream
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
2 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp salt
1tsp garlic powder
For the Fritters:
1. Shred the zucchini and press out any extra water.
2. Combine the shredded zucchini, corn, shredded cheddar and chopped up basil into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the spices and stir together well.
4. Add the eggs and the flour, mix together with your hands, until everything is evenly and cohesively mixed.
5. Add to a pan with hot oil. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour the batter into the pan. Depending on the heat of your pan, and the thickness of the fritters, each side should be cooked 3-4 minutes per side. Cook until browned on one side, flipping with a spatula and repeat.
For the Sour Cream:
1. In a sauce pan, heat the sour cream over a medium heat until it begins to bubble.
2. Add the shredded cheese and stir until melted and blended.
3. Add the chipotle powder, salt and garlic powder, mix well.
(If you want it to be saucy, you can serve it hot. Or if you let it cool, it can be served similar to regular sour cream, and dalloped on top.)