This is a super simple and super fresh week night dinner. If you only put a few ounces of mozzarella (at 80 calories a serving) its under 200 calories. If you're looking for something more substantial, you can add some orzo or some chicken. It can be served as a side dish or an entree. My husband insists on protein and carbs, so I "made" (I use the term loosely) tomato/roasted red pepper bisque with three cheese tortellini. (I say "made" because I bought premade organic soup and premade tortellini, cracked some pepper and brought to a low boil.
The caprese salad is almost as easy.
Makes 4 salads
1 package grape tomatoes (but you could use sliced roma tomatoes)
2- 3/4 oz packages of basil
2 heads butter lettuce (but you could use mixed greens)
8-12 oz fresh mozzarella (it depends on how much you want... I use 2-3 oz per serving)
5 garlic cloves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. In a blender, combine 5 garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and one of the 3/4 oz packages of basil. Puree until smooth and set aside.
2. Remove chunks of the lettuce and lay onto a plate.
3. Quarter your grape tomatoes, or slice your roma tomatoes and lay them on the plate.
4. Slice your mozzarella about 1.4 of an inch thick.
5. Cut up the basil and sprinkle over the tomatoes, lettuce and mozzarella.
6.Drizzle a tbsp or two of the vinaigrette over the salad.