A deceivingly simple breakfast pastry that is sure to visually stun. This recipe uses blackberries, but you could easily substitute raspberries, blueberries or strawberries.
Makes 4 Pastry Stars
2 packages crescent rolls
6 oz cream cheese
4 tbsp blackberry jam/jelly
zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp vanilla
5 tbsp raw sugar (plus more for dusting)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, vanilla, lemon zest and sugar. Stir until smooth.
2. Using two crescent triangles, make a square. Be sure to press the seams of the dough together, since they are not the ones you are trying to use.
3. With a pizza cutter, cut 4 lines into dough square. Start in the corners, and cut toward the center, leaving an area roughly the size of a quarter uncut.
4. Evenly spoon the cream cheese mixture into the centers of the dough.
6. Spoon roughly a tbsp of jam on top of the cream cheese.
7. Fold the corners of the dough into the center. (Refer to the picture.)
8. Place a blackberry into the 4 corners of the center.
9. Place onto a silicone mat on a baking sheet.
10. Sprinkle with more raw sugar.
11. Bake at 350 degrees of 12 minutes.