Such an easy holiday desert. And I think the only person who wouldn’t enjoy them would be the pre-heart growth Grinch. I mean, Oreos covered in chocolate ganache and a peppermint chocolate combination? Sign me up! They're great for holiday parties or for wrapping up and gifting.
1 package Oreos
8 oz of cream cheese, softened
3 (4 oz) boxes of bakers chocolate (dark, semisweet or milk)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
2 candy canes (crushed)
1. Place the Oreos in a large plastic freezer bag and crush them up into a fairly fine consistency. (I used a meat tenderizer with a pot holder over it.)
2. Empty the Oreos into a stand mixer with 8 oz of cream cheese and 1/2 tsp peppermint extract. Mix until smooth and well blended.
3. Roll them out into 1/2"-1" balls and place onto wax paper.
4. Crush the candy canes in a bag, empty into a bowl and set aside. (You'll want some "larger" chunks for appearance, and some "smaller" ones for dusting.)
5. In a pot, heat the heavy whipping cream, break up the chocolate bars and stir until smooth. Once the cream is hot turn the stove to a low temp and stir the chocolate.
6. Transfer half into a small mixing bowl for dipping the Oreo truffle balls. (I had to reheat the other half so I just left it in the pot.)
7. Cover the balls in the chocolate mixture and return to the wax paper. (I stabbed them with a grilling skewer and dipped them. This worked till the chocolate supply became low and I had to switch to rolling them with a spoon. If you start with a spoon, you will be transferring/wasting the extra chocolate. But you could use a fork in the beginning or any other method which you are comfortable with.)
8. While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the truffles with the crushed candy canes.
9. Transfer the truffles to the refrigerator until they harden.