Potatoes are a great side dish, but too after we have to infuse them with loads of butter and cheese to give them a more appealing flavor. I have discovered a trick. Chicken broth. Seriously. I use it for this dish and I have used it for others. By cooking your potatoes in chicken broth, you infuse them with flavor and can add less of the fatty stuff later. These delicious smashed potatoes are first boiled in chicken broth, then smashed, topped with other yummy flavors and baked/broiled. They're super simple and sure to please!
12 potatoes (I used mini yukon gold. You could use red potatoes or any other small variety.)
1 32 oz carton of chicken broth
2-3 tbsp crushed/minced garlic
1 tbsp minced rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for drizzling
1. Clean potatoes and poke them a few times with a fork, then boil them in chicken broth for 15 minutes.
2. Remove the potatoes and put them on a silicone mat or a greased baking sheet.
3. With a potato smasher (you know the kitchen utensil that has the flat zig zag pattern at the end) or a wide bottom glass, press on your potatoes. Do this slowly and gingerly. Its totally fine if you smash them flat, but if you’re too aggressive, the potato will get caught in the open spaces of the smashy-guy (my technical term.)
4. Take the 2 tbsp of crushed garlic and evenly smear on the top of all of the potatoes.
5. Evenly sprinkle the rosemary on top of all of the potatoes.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
8. Turn your oven to broil and remove the potatoes from the oven. Grade some parmesan or Romano cheese (about 1/2 of a cup) and sprinkle it over the potatoes.
9. Broil for 3-5 minutes until your potatoes begin to brown and the cheese begins to sizzle.
Serve as a side dish to any meal. Enjoy!