One Skillet Mexican Quinoa Casserole
If you're looking for a simple and healthy dish, look no further. Hey, you can even cook it in one pan! It’s loaded with protein and so incredibly simple. This version isn't vegetarian (I have ground low fat turkey), but it easily could be!
The left overs reheat perfectly and really, the effort is quite minimal. What else do you need to hear? That is fulfills that cheesy, Mexican, meaty, ricey casserole craving? Well, it does! And if you haven't quite come around to quinoa, then you could always cook it with rice. Anyway, the cleanup is pretty minimal and not that you're having to put in a lot of effort, but if you were, it would be "worth it".
1 Lbs Ground Turkey
I Cup Dry Quinoa
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
2 Red, Orange or Yellow Peppers
1 Can Black Beans
1 Bushel Cilantro
2 Cups Shredded Mexican Cheese
1/2 tbsp Pepper
1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Olive Oil for Sautéing
Sour Cream and/or Avocado Optional
1. Heat up a skillet and bring 2 cups of vegetable broth to a low boil. This is going to happen quite quickly since the liquid will be very shallow in the pan. If you would like, you can make this a "two pot dish" and cook the quinoa separately.
2. Add the quinoa and one packet of the taco seasoning and stir until cooked and fluffy.
3. Add the ground turkey, 2 tbsp olive oil and continue to stir till the turkey is cooked and browned. If you wish this dish to be vegetarian, simply skip this step.
4. Cut up your zucchini and peppers and add them into the pan. Continue to stir and sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly tender. (The skillet will later go into the oven, so don't overdo it or worry about under cooking it either.)
5. Cut the leafy part of the cilantro off and chop up fairly fine.
6. Add the cilantro, drained can of beans, the spices and the other taco seasoning packet into the mix.
7. Juice the 5 limes into the skillet.
8. Once everything is mixed evenly, sprinkle 2 cups of cheese onto the top.
9. Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
10. Let cool. You can finish it with avocado or sour cream if you like.