Lemony Kale and Bacon Linguine
This dish is doesn't overwhelm with a ton of flavors. It has a simple flavor palate with every day complimentary flavors. And if you're looking for a way to introduce your husband, kids, or yourself to kale... just add bacon! And guess what? I did! Easy and delicious, what more do you want? Besides more bacon... I guess you could add more bacon. ;)
2 heads of kale
4 pieces of thick cut pepper bacon
8 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 package of whole grain pasta (linguine, angel hair, etc...)
1. In a separate pot, boil and cook your ingredients as instructed on the box. Drain and set aside.
2. Tear the leafy part of the kale from it's stems. Cut it up into 1/4" pieces. It doesn’t matter if it’s a little larger, smaller, or funky shaped. You will be cooking it down in a few minutes.
3. Cut up your bacon by slicing it length wise down the middle, then cutting it into 1/4" pieces after that.
4. Add your bacon into a large sauté pan. (The kale is going to look quite ominous in the beginning, so you will need a large pan to hold it all.)
5. Mince up your garlic and add it to the pan as well. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the bacon begins to crisp then add your kale.
6. Cook the kale in the bacon fat for 10-12 minutes, adding the olive oil, the salt, pepper and garlic flakes along the way.
7. Juice your lemons into the pan.
8. Add your cooked pasta and thoroughly toss with tongs.
9. You may add grated parmesan or Romano cheese to finish off the dish if you so choose.
10. Serve and enjoy!