Jalapeno Bacon Biscuits with Peach Pepper Jam
It is summertime. And as a mama to two, baking is always a safe bet for food for my kiddos. Cooking savory dishes and creating recipes has always come easily to me. Baking on the other hand can take some finesse to get it just right. That is why when I bake I trust products, such as Crisco, who have been making trustworthy and quality baking, frying, you name it ingredients for over 100 years.
For the Biscuits:
4 cups flour
2 tbsp Clabber Girl® Baking Powder
2 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
12 oz cooked and chopped center cut bacon
3 jalapenos deserved and finely chopped
2 tbsp butter
Pinch of Spice Islands® Cayenne Pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix together.
2. Cut the Crisco shortening stick into cubes and hand mix into the dry ingredients until they come together.
3. Add the milk and continue to combine the ingredients.
4. Add the cooked/chopped bacon and the seeded/Chopped jalapenos and mix the add-ins by hand until they are consistent throughout the dough.
5. On a floured surface, roll the dough out 3/4 inch think and use a cookie cutter to make your biscuits. Continue this process until all the dough is used and raw biscuits are on a baking sheet.
6. Melt the butter and add a pinch of cayenne for some extra heat. Brush this mixture over the top.
7. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Serve with butter and jam (Recipe to follow)
For the Peach Pepper Jam:
4 cups of peaches (skin removed and finely chopped)
6 jalapenos, seeds removed and finely chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 lemon juiced and zested
1/2 cup fruit Pectin
4 cups sugar
1. Add the peaches, jalapenos, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and zest and the pectin to a non reactive pot. Cook on a medium high heat, stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes.
2. Add the sugar and allow the mixture to come to a full boil for a minute or so.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cook before canning. :)